Saturday, August 29, 2009

Talisker 10 Year Old

This is the most expensive bottle of liquor I've bought yet, and I don't regret it...

The Talisker 10 Year Old has amazing levels of different elements that all work together in perfect harmony like a professional orchestra. Something I find amazing about this scotch is the change that happens when you add a touch of water to your dram, and I always do when I drink this beauty, so I'll be reviewing it based on the qualities of it after this change. (The drink has far less peppery qualities without the touch of water).

To start the nose has a peaty smoke that's very typical of Islay scotches. The more unique part of the aroma is a sea-salt scent that's like a sea breeze in your face, a touch of citrus can also be caught. Past the lips the smokyness remains but in a weaker element, but the sea salt takes on a sweetness that's unlike sugar or most fruits. If I had to compare it to something I'd say it was like dried fruit sweet, but not any taste of the actual fruit. The most unique part appears on the back of the tongue and in the finish of the drink after you've experienced all listed above; an intense pepper that warms your mouth and lingers for a awhile (not an alcohol burn at all).

I only open this bottle when I want to experience something unlike any other drink, tea, coffee, wine, beer, or even other whiskeys. I'm nearing the end of it with maybe one and a half servings left :-( Guess what will be on my Christmas list.

It should be obvious the score on this beverage is a solid A (excellent).

No comments: