Sunday, August 30, 2009

Guinness Extra Stout


Guinness Extra Stout has been a favorite of mine for quite some time but I haven't had it in awhile due to the summer season when I prefer lighter ales, but now that fall is coming I think it justifies some attention.

Once poured there's a head with bubbles going down the glass like any Guinness and the nose of the beer hints at the barley and hops but also features coffee. After your first sip you'll be surprised at the difference in the power from your first sense of the beer. The hops and barley remain but a bitter-sweet bite is the most blunt aspect. I also notice an overtone of dark chocolate that I find to be a different element than the bitter-sweetness of the stout. After swallowing your sip you'll be left with that same bitter-sweetness at the back of your throat. It should also be noted that this beer has a very full body, but not quite as big as the standard Guinness Draught.

The Guinness website states that the Extra Stout is the closest beer to the recipe of the original Guinness beer. I must recommend this beer to anyone who likes stouts or likes a beer with a strong palate. Some might not like this as much because they'll find what I call bitter-sweet just bitter. To each their own: A (excellent)

No comments: