Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Golden Moon Tea Vanilla Mint



I've been a fan of Golden Moon Tea for awhile now placing 3 orders in the past 8 months (that's a lot when you order over 1 lb of loose tea), one of their teas that I've been coming back to is their Vanilla Mint. My review I left on their website reads;
Pros: I'm glad I have a tin of this tea and it's one of the best values of Golden Moon because it's a tea that you can have frequently and not get tired of.
Cons: It doesn't have the higher levels of flavor as other teas but I believe that was intentional.
And I haven't gotten tired of it yet, ordering a 1 lb bag of it when I placed my next order.

As my cons comment reads, this isn't a complicated or "layered" tea like some others I will review latter on. It's smell and palate put mint up front with vanilla in the back seat but still apparent. Something I've also noticed when it's hot is the actual taste of the tea is nowhere to be found! Because I like the taste of tea as it is with or without the added flavors I've found that putting an ice cube in my cup or letting it sit for awhile before enjoying it will bring out more of the flavors.

Once a decent "luke hot" instead of steaming the scent doesn't change but the taste does. Vanilla becomes far more apparent as does green tea. (A typical green tea is an almost more "vegetable" taste compared to you standard black tea.) If you find yourself wanting more vanilla flavor in this tea put a little sugar in it and mint takes the back seat. I've also had success with this one making a pitcher of iced tea that didn't last long at all with my fiance who is a fan of this one as well (perhaps more than me).

After some thought I gave this one a B (good) despite its simplicity because the few elements in it worked so well together and I find myself coming back to this a lot.

P.S. For those of you who notice a 1/2 bag of this costs $18 and thinks that is expensive, look at this: A box of bagged TAZO tea has 1.5 oz of tea in it and costs about $4-$5, that's less than 1/5th of a 1/2 lb bag. So to get a 1/2 lb bag of TAZO would be $20-$25. loose tea is a deal.

No comments: