Thursday, August 20, 2009

Harpoon IPA

I've always told people who think of Samuel Adams as the best beer ever made "I'm a Harpoon guy." When it comes to Boston beer I am, but honestly I'm a Maine micro brewer guy that likes names like Shipyard, Geary's and especially Allagash. Despite my biased opinion due to my home-state pride I've yet to find a Maine IPA that beats Harpoon's.

When I saw a 12 pack of this on sale for the same price of the Dogfish Head 6 pack I was going to buy, I knew what my purchase would be. Now I must warn those of you who don't know if they like hoppy or malty beers, this is one of the extremes of Indian Pale Ale. Wikipedia says "India Pale Ale, (abbreviated IPA), is an ale that is light amber to copper in colour, medium to medium-high alcohol by volume, with hoppy, bitter and sometimes malty flavour." Harpoon's IPA is exactly that with a golden hue, high abv (5.9% = good for you frat party people), with a hoppy-malty and bitter flavor. I must add that when poured it has a great fuzzy and citrusy head that leaves lacing around the glass after a minute.

Mabey it's an acquired taste that I got from my father, but my fiance didn't finish her beer last night. It was too bitter she said. So beacause this blog's pourpuse is to give readers a heads up on products before they buy them; I reccomend this beer to those that preferr others like Guinness Extra Stout and other IPAs but not to those that drink Heineken or other lagers or pale summer ales.

My rating is B (good)

No comments: