Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bushmills Black Bush


Bushmills has been a favorite of mine for awhile now and I've tried every product they have within reasonable costs. I'm starting with Black Bush because I think it'll reel in the people who will get the most out of my blog, (it won't draw in as many college freshmen who are looking for the liquor to have their senior friends buy).

I think Bushmills does a good job on their website describing the flavors in this Irish whisky. The website declares that fruitcake, sherry, and nuts are to be expected in this bottle, this is true. The nose has the "round" sweetness of sherry and raisins or other dried pitted fruit but more is discovered once you take a sip. Your tongue will encounter the sherry again but a new nutty taste also appears, the best way to compare this taste would be to almonds and/or brazillian nuts. But what's shocking is the fullness of the body! If you don't know what I mean by this, think of something that clings to you throat and has the texture of a syrupy liquid (it's not sticky though). It finishes with a lingering of the sherry-nutty sweetness that seems to be the same component. I think it's also quite smooth in my book but I've had my friends and fiance try it and they didn't think it was as much, but they didn't think it was harsh either.

Black Bush isn't the whiskey to choose if you want something for mixing as well as straight because I think it has enough going on already and a cocktail of this would simply cover up some of the better aspects of it and the wisky wouldn't add to the cocktail. I've given the Bushmills Black Bush an A (excellent). For those who are looking for a whiskey of choice and found bourbon to blunt and scotch to smokey, go for Irish.

No comments: