Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bombay Dry Gin


My last review of gin was more like orange vodka than gin, so I set out to get a “regular” one. I didn’t get Bombay Sapphire because I needed something for cocktails though, and that isn’t your typical gin with juniper berry as the prime flavor. This is the standard London dry version of Bombay Sapphire.

The nose of this tells me that it’s more of the gin I wanted, that pine-like smell. It has that warm alcohol nose as well though. Taking a sip of it is a step in the smoother direction though. Besides going down smoothly the palate shows the juniper berry again but there’s a lot more going on and it all intermingles so well that it’s hard to dissect the tastes. I can distinguish a little lemon rind and almond, but I needed to look at the label to distinguish the rest.

This might be my gin for tonics and such. It’s my favorite gin yet, at an A (excellent). Now I said I needed this for cocktails, so here’s a good one. The Tom Collins:
- 2 oz gin
- ½ oz lemon juice
- ½ oz simple syrup
- club soda or seltzer
Combine the gin, lemon juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a tall glass with ice. Top off with the soda and stir briefly. You can garnish with a cherry and/or orange slice.

No comments: