Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ommegang Hennepin

I found this beer at my local grocery store with a new selection of 750ml beers and I hadn't heard of Ommegang so I picked it up to put something new to myself on my site. (It was also a bit less expensive than the other selections).

My first impression of this beer while pouring was a lager? It fizzled as I poured with a light quickly expanding head, but after smelling I knew this was wrong. Yeast was first but light spices and honey lay underneath. Tasting had the somehow sweetened yeast as well with a light body and "light fruit" note such as white grapes, oranges, and/or pears. It finished while swallowing as something of a lager with a citrus element or perhaps spiced.

A rather unique Belgian ale due to being light and lacking any malt. I give it a B (good) because I prefer beers of this sort to be heavier and more spiced such as Allagash Dubbel or Unibroue Maudite which I'll get to eventually. I do recommend to any who like larger production production beers like Blue Moon or Hoegaarden.

No comments: