Wednesday, January 13, 2010

St Peter's Cream Stout

If you've read some of my other reviews, you'll know I'm a fan of a real rich stout. Ireland and Maine have impressed me with a stout creation before, but today the UK in on the line. St Peter's is the brewery representing and they've been popular enough to have its products travel the Atlantic Ocean. Lets see if their stout matches up to the standards set by others.

St Peter's Cream Stout was obviously meant to be drunk warmer than American beers. It seemed inadequate at first but as it warmed up, I warmed up to it. The palate is almost tasteless served ice cold, but give it some time to warm and you'll be met with a strong taste of roasted barley. The chocolate taste of the roasted barley was on the "darker" side, like a bar of dark chocolate with more cocoa. Baking chocolate is the better way to describe the aftertaste though, bittersweet. I think this beer was one of the most full bodied stouts I've drank as well.

St Peter's Cream Stout is a blunt, no-nonsense beer that deserves an A (excellent). If you like a good strong stout as well or want to try and grow hair on your chest, go find this.

No comments: