Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Murphy's Irish Stout

Now when you hear Irish stout you always think of Guinness, but here’s another. Murphy’s claims that their stout “has been brewed to the same unique recipe since 1865.” This sounds all fine and dandy, but were they drinking a better beer back then?

I got this in a four pack of tall cans with a fresh beer system like you can get with Guinness. It poured out a huge head as well that stayed, but it was as thick as shaving cream! This is a HEAVY beer. The body was profound as well and the palate has an almost dairy aspect from the beer being pasteurized. There’s not as much roasted barley as other Irish stouts I’ve had but I doubt that would compliment this beer.

This is quite a distinctive beer, but it won’t be my recurring choice of a stout. It’s a great way to change things up though and I will get it every once in awhile to do that. It’s a well deserved B (good). I’ll warn anyone who doesn’t like a bold beer to stay away.

No comments: