Monday, February 22, 2010

Zhena's Gypsy Tea Coconut Chai

Once I opened the tin of Zhena’s Gypsy Tea I knew I was in for a heavily spiced tea. The scent of the tea bag captures you with bold chai spice. Coconut is what intrigued me to get this though; sweetness added to sweet spice. It smells like it works too. Zhena may have proven that her tea is a fine popuri, but I grade the drink.

As it smelled before steeping, the air of the tea is boldly sweet but the coconut is hardly detectable. More shocking than its first impressions is how soft the taste is. All I get is cinnamon and in no proportion to that compares to the scent. A trace of the coconut sweet is left as an aftertaste, but once again weakly.

This isn’t a tea, this is tainted water. I’ve tried steeping it longer, letting it cool, and adding cream but none of that has brought out more of the palate. I’m leaving Zhena’s Gypsy Tea Coconut Chai with a C (decent) and not a C- because of the potent smell. The rest of the tea bags will be popuri.

No comments: