Saturday, January 22, 2011

Young's Double Chocolate Stout


Stout beers and chocolates have a major thing in common, they're both luxurious. Not physically necessary though. *The other part of my mind coughs it's throat* (On some days needed for your mental health though).  I must agree with this. Today had a huge snowstorm in my area and after a long day of cleaning inside and out I'm not going to regret the pint in front of me one bit. But I'm here tonight to let you know if you'd regret making such a purchase.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout follows the standard appearance of stouts; black opaque body with a heavy creamy head that retains. This stout doesn't just follow the lines with your other senses though. It doesn't smell of barley much but it shows much chocolate. This exists on the tongue as well of course in a smooth velvety way that's quite velvety. This isn't too bitter as well with the barley that isn't heavily roasted like many other stouts and the chocolate is created with malts. I think semi-sweet baking chocolate is the type of chocolate used here. The body isn't as creamy as the traditional Guinness Extra Stout or Murphy's I've had before either and there's a little bit of carbonation here too. You're left with a smooth and not-to-dry finish when swallowed.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout isn't your traditional stout, but this isn't a bad thing. It's rather unique even when you compare it to other chocolate stouts with this untypical approach and it leads me to rate it with a B (good). If the title of this beer attracts you at all with the tastes listed, you will not regret it. Now I'm going to enjoy the rest of my pint with a fine book, feel free to pick one up a join me.

1 comment:

Garnet said...

Chocolate is a complex flavor. I love a complex flavor...