Sunday, January 30, 2011

Jim Beam White

Jim Beam is one of the first names that comes to many minds when the word bourbon is stated. Almost every bar has it on hand, even my own personal one due to its price compared to others. I haven't had it straight in a long time though, because it's alway in a cocktail (like the Perfect Manhattan I listed in my Unappreciated Cocktails post). Let's see how it compares on its own.

The first thing I'd like to say is that there is a burn, but it's nothing compared to other liquors of this price. The nose is simple and the roughest part but lets you know that it's aged in oak. On the tongue oak happens again with a vanilla parallel and caramel in a way that isn't very sweet. Even before you swallow your sip the alcohol is apparent, but in an almost citrus crisp sort of way. At the back of your throat Jim Beam's White burns again of course.

The burn may be better in comparison to other liquors below $20, but you get what you pay for. I'm leaving the White label with a C (decent) mostly because of this but also because it's very simple and doesn't have different levels of taste. It will still be a staple of my bar for mixing cocktails though.

1 comment:

StevenHWicker said...

This is a really informative knowledge, Thanks for posting this informative Information. Italian Mixed Herbs