Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Teavana Earl Grey Creme

Earl grey is familiar with almost anyone who drinks tea. It's a British classic black tea with bergamot oil (a lemon-orange looking fruit), but I always think of the lavender first. Teavana has three earl grey teas, a white one, a regular black one, and tonight's one: Earl Grey Creme (French for cream). Now how could there be cream in amongst the leaves? Let's find out.

Putting my nose over the cup I can easily smell the bergamot. Once sipped in my mouth bergamot happens again but I'm a little surprised. Teavana calls this a creme earl grey because the body of this seems a little heavier somehow! Vanilla is a part of this creme element in a taste but it's not as noticeable as the bergamot. The black tea leaves exist in taste as well, but they're not as strong as breakfast teas.

Teavana has a very different earl grey here, but not just because they added creme. This earl grey is missing lavender! Vanilla is nice here but can't make up for the lack of a floral note in my opinion. I'm giving Teavana's Earl Grey Creme a C (decent) because of these things. If you were never a huge fan of lavender and want something a little more crisp but smooth, give this one a try.

3 comments:

Eron Rauch said...

As a fan of various Earl Grey teas, I have to say this is one of my favorite takes on the mellow end of the spectrum. This tea has a gorgeous aroma and a very smooth round body. It's not a tea that will jostle you from a stupor, but a cup that would be at home sitting on the porch of a farm house on a lazy fall afternoon while you talk about a Charles DeLint novel or some-such.

Eron Rauch said...

Also, I should have looked around more - I didn't even notice you did beer reviews as well as tea! I've got a few up on my blog, including an upcoming review of the taste-exlosion that is the 2009 Goose Island Nightstalker Imperial Stout (which my friend cellared for almost a year for me!) I also have the Pere Jacques I just reviewed here http://eronrauch.blogspot.com/2011/03/beer-review-goose-island-pere-jacques.html. Keep up the good work!

Glenn Hannan said...

Thanks for sharing content and such nice information for me. I hope you will share some more content about. Please keep sharing! French Earl Grey Tea