Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stockyard Oatmeal Stout

Those that know me know that I have an obsession with drinks. I keep a range of drinks of every type and variety on hand. Beer has been the hardest to keep a wide selection of though! Usually the same beer is chosen for awhile due to weather and other conditions. With the current weather stouts and ports have been frequent. Tonight's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout can only be bought at Trader Joe's and it's been a common stout in my fridge due to it's value.

This is a strong barley stout, but not in the same way as Guinness Extra Stout. The barley used parallels semi-sweet baking chocolate fantastically. It has a creamy tan head with plenty of lacing that sticks to your upper lip like all good stouts. The barley tastes like coffee as well as chocolate, and they match in a way that I'd call this a mocha stout. Oats are hinted at through the aftertaste as well. The body of this beer is far from a traditional Irish stout though. It's not as heavy in a creamy way and there's a good amount of carbonation in the ale way.

If I were craving a stout fresh from the tap, this wouldn't do. I'd have to make a run to the store to buy an Irish stout with the widgets or even just go to the bar. It does deliver a strong barley palate though and because of this it's a common in my fridge and I've given it a score of B (good).

No comments: