Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tree Spirits Maple Demi-Sec

Real maple syrup is a luxurious liquid, but I wouldn't review raw maple syrup (or drink it). It only ever goes in my mouth with pancakes as a vehicle. Tree Spirits has created fine maple products for drinking though! Tonight I have a glass of their Maple Demi-Sec sparkling wine in front of me. I would think making a "semi-sweet" product of this type would be very hard, so let's see where it falls on the sweet-to-dry scale.

It pours like almost any champagne but you'll notice the difference between a grape wine and this one before it even touches your lips. You can smell the maple tree ingredient that isn't sweet like syrup, but it becomes more luscious on the tongue. The carbonation makes the body crisp, but it's actually well rounded in texture. The palate pounces on your tongue after swallowing with the maple accompanied by the semi-sweet. Clover honey is how I'd describe the level of sugar here; sweet but in a natural and compliant way. At the back of the throat you'll get an aftertaste of distinct maple, and it'll be on your tongue with a tingling.

I'm usually not a fan of sweet but, Tree Spirit's Maple Demi-Sec was not too sweet at all. It's a very different product and and I'm giving it an A (excellent) because you can taste maple, not just maple syrup in this drink. Tree Spirits makes a maple liquor as well as apple wines and spirits that're certainly worth trying as well.

1 comment:

Steve Buchsbaum said...

Ian, thanks for this nice review of our Maple Demi-sec wine.