Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shipyard Wheat Ale

Shipyards newest release, wheat ale. I do like the label, it's like the pint glass I got from them with a mermaid. I'm guessing that image is now a symbol of this brew, like Old Thumper's boar head or Chamberlain for the pale ale. But I didn't buy it for the bottle.

Shipyard's website states that this is an American wheat ale, and you can tell by putting your nose over it. Grainy-wheat came first to me and it was soon followed by a fruity note and a touch of the very floral hops they must use in their IPA. It's light and crisp body brings the wheat again along with the fruit. The finish is a little dry and you're left with the wheat but the hops replaces the fruit.

A great summer beer I think. If I had to describe this simply, it's a cross between Shipyards summer ale and IPA with wheat. It's a little to light bodied for my preferences though. It's a B (good) in my book. This will be a beer I'll purchase on hot and humid days.

No comments: