Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Allagash Black


A Belgian stout? Who's ever heard of such a thing? Allagash Brewery has made the first one I believe. Most will know Allagash for there award-winning White Belgian ale with citrus notes and equilibrium that's made it so popular. I find it funny that They've called this creation black. Black and white; yin-yang.

Before popping the cork I read on the bottle to "pour slowly into wide mouth glass". I can see why, it pours a good thick head like many other stouts. The scent given off by this beer is an easy barley, not the intense type like some other stouts. Dark chocolate and coffee can be smelled but is much more apparent on the palate. The body isn't nearly as heavy as some Irish stouts I've had though, not a bad thing though. Going through the drink malt, yeast and wheat became more noticeable too, more so in the aftertaste. Roasted coffee is the prime part left in your mouth once swallowed though.

I must say I enjoyed this a lot. It has all of the standard elements of a stout but I can't taste much like Belgium ale. I don't mind this though. I'm giving this an A (excellent) because I found it to be everything a stout should be, just not as heavy. (Stouts are one of my favorite drinks.)

No comments: