Sunday, July 25, 2010

Casal Garcia Branco

With the warm summer months, when it comes to wine I've been going white and crisp. Sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio tend to come to mind with this. Well what is branco? Wikipedia says branco is a grape unique to Portugal "can be somewhat reminiscent of riesling." Lets see.

Many bubbles were the first thing I noticed when this was poured into my glass. The nose is very light and takes a little effort to distinguish the aspects of it. I would call it citrus without any dry, more on the fruity side. Once in my mouth this was determined though, green apples. Granny smith to be more specific. The body of this was certainly like a riesling, acidic and crisp. I should note that Casal Garcia's branco is not sweet like riesling though, and I like that.

This is a fine wine for the money. I only paid $7 for it and I will certainly buy it again for a humid day. I'm giving it a B (good) because I enjoyed it, but it doesn't have the levels of flavor that many other wines have. So are you making a grilled chicken dinner? Pick up a bottle!

No comments: