Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Troegs Troegenator Doublebock

Troges Brewery must be proud of this one, they have it named after themselves and the face on the label sticks out with the constipated face. Is it going to give me that face or make me come back for more? Well I’m here to find out.

It has a thick head with some retention and amber in color. The nose shows hops most, but some malt is apparent. Once in the mouth it’s not as heavy as any other bock but crisp hops will tingle your tongue. Malt is detectable again and works well with the incomparable hops that can be best described as “rye”, but nothing like floral, citrus or super sharp. Easy to drink for a beer so strong with flavor.

I’m leaving it with a B (good). As a comparative way to describe it I’d say it’s a malty red ale mixed with an IPA. Approach it as this, not a bock if you’ve had one before.

No comments: