Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gosling's Black Seal

It bothers me that the general population sticks to Bacardi and Captain Morgan for rum with so many more, and better, rums out there. Drinking only light and gold rum is a limit of cocktails as well, so I’ve included a cocktail recipe at the end of the review for those willing to explore the dark. Gosling’s has always been my favorite dark rum, so I’ll show you why.

Being nearly solid black in color, many would imagine a bold and hearty rum. It is, but don’t relate those attributes to harsh. Gosling’s has a heavy body and a rich taste of brown sugar and spice. After swallowing you’re left with an aftertaste of the spice and a warm element best described simply as the rum, but not a burn of alcohol.

I don’t believe Black Seal was intended to be drunk straight, even though I do sometimes, but I’d recommend it on the rocks or with ginger ale. In my book Gosling’s Black Seal is a solid A (excellent) due to its unparalleled boldly smooth taste. Because of this it can make cocktails that no other liquor can. Here’s a good one:

Dark Side Daiquiri
• 1 ½ oz Gosling’s Black Seal
• 1 ½ oz amaretto
• ½ oz simple syrup (or ¼ oz sugar and ¼ oz water)
• ¼ oz lemon juice
• ¼ oz lime juice

No comments: