Friday, October 30, 2009

Shipyard Pumkinhead

Along with octoberfest brews the other tradition is pumpkin ales, and Shipyard has one with a eye-catching bottle. I review this one in the spirit of Halloween! (I'm listening to The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack as I write this).

Smelling your mug you'd easily be able to determine the theme of this brew blind to the packaging. Pumpkin pie. And not just pumpkin, nutmeg is there as well (what would pumpkin pie be without nutmeg?) Drinking this beer is easy as well with a return to pumpkin and nutmeg but wheat is also detectable. What's missing is what this is, beer. There's only a little wheat on the tongue but no hops, malt or other elements that I enjoy in beer.

I give this one C (decent) but I don't think you all should dismiss it as unworthy. I'm simply not a fan of "fruit flavored" beer such as Wachusett Blueberry Ale or Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. If you like those or perhaps even some malt drinks, give this one a try.

No comments: