Friday, November 20, 2009

Wachusett Hometown Haze

I recently visited Wachusett Brewing and had a great time touring their brewery and trying samples of their versatile lineup. One particular brew caught my attention though, their only Belgian white ale, the Hometown Haze. Unfortunately his beer isn't in bottles yet though, just on tap. Wachusett Brewery was so kind though to give me a sample to make this blog on though, so here are my thoughts on the new Wachusett Hometown Haze:

With a huge head that slowly receded to something that you could sip through, it had an atmosphere of bananas but light spices could be detected below. Its palate brought out those spices more and I found the malt component to be apart of those somehow. It had a body appropriate for a Belgian ale. Heavier than most ales and lighter than any opaque brew. It finished with the spice but the fruit element returned, but not as bananas. Lastly a note of hops was left as well and I found it to grow slightly as I emptied my glass.

I'm sorry Blue Moon, you have a run for your money. This is a fairly light beer for the Belgian category when compared to tripels and dubbels, but I think this is appropriate because their website states that you'll be drinking it all summer long. I give this a B (good) because the tastes of this beer may be light, but they work togeather well. This is a well balanced brew that will be a great choice for summertime.

No comments: