Thursday, September 10, 2009

Shipyard Imperial Porter

I chose this beer for my first Maine brewery because it's a brand all will recognize, but this isn't your typical Shipyard that you can buy in a six or twelve pack. This can only be bought as a single big bottle, so make sure you're prepared for a big beer with a higher alcohol content when you pop this or just accept that you'll be wasting part of it if you can't finish. I didn't have this problem, it was good.

Pouring into the glass I found that the head was a little thinner than expected but it retained well. For those that aren't familiar with porters, the body is lighter than stouts I've come accost (but not light). On the other hand this one has a far more pronounced palate than most stouts! The two elements I got from this beer were malt and chocolate. The smell made the malt more distinct but the chocolate was greater in taste. My last note is the higher alcohol content is undetectable.

I give this beer a B (good), but I must note that I was a tad disappointed comparing it to other beers of this price-point. It's rather simple when measured against an Allagash or Unibroue of similar cost. Either way, good job Shipyard.

No comments: