Monday, June 13, 2011

Katahdin Specialty Coffee Baxter Blend (Old)

Edit: Katahdin has since changed their flagship roast, and you can read about it here.


Maine has established a reputation for fine beer form microbreweries, but I think it's time for more recognition for the micro-roasters. I'm ashamed to say the only other Maine roaster I've hit so far is Bard's special Honduras bean, but today is about Katahdin Specialty Coffee's flagship bean.

Baxter State Park is a beautiful place that everyone can enjoy, and I think the Baxter Blend can be enjoyed by everyone as well because it's well rounded and easy to drink. It's easy to drink because there's little acidity to it but it has some of the enjoyable notes of highly acidic and lighter coffee's. "Nutty" in a way. I say it's rounded due to the body and hints of being roasted. Don't take these last notes as it being dark like French or Italian roasts.

If you enjoy the taste of coffee but frequently get heartburn or overwhelmed by robust tastes, give this a try. It's not too crisp or dark and isn't cutting corners on taste like big-box supermarket brands. It's a B (good) in my book.

3 comments:

Dan Lyons said...

Thanks for the review. We've upgraded the blend and changed our look since the logo you posted was current. If you'd like to try the new Baxter Blend, please let me know!
Dan Lyons
President
Katahdin Specialty Coffee
dan@katahdincoffee.com

Unknown said...

Best coffee I ever had in my life. Nicaragua's Matagalpa region has the best beans in the world hands down. They just need to know your roasting secret.
Bill Dumont

Unknown said...

Baxter Blend I am talking about. Need to get my sisters to send me a few cases to Nicaragua.