Friday, May 7, 2010

Sebago Bourbon Barrel Aged Lake Trout Stout


This is a rather interesting product; it’s a beer I’ve tried before but has now gone through an evolution. I enjoy their original Lake Trout Stout however; Sebago Brewing Company has experimented with a small batch of Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels and this is a homerun. I sure hope they make this a standard in their lineup because…

The appearance of this brew is obviously a stout, opaque with a creamy head. After pouring this delicious beer, I start to use my other sense’s, the head has fantastic hints of barley, chocolate and vanilla, not too sharp but with a ‘rounded bourbon-esque’ power. Once the beer enters your mouth the specialty malts assert themselves, the special cask ageing shows its effect with an overtone of chocolate, coffee, and undertone of vanilla. The cask aging then plays through showing great hint’s of Bourbon.

I haven’t hesitated to give this an A (excellent) due to the symmetry and collaboration of the barrel aging with the stout. Anybody who enjoys a good stout will be enchanted by this. So grab it if you see it, you won’t regret it.

No comments: