Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Santa Carolina Reserva Sauvignon Blanc '09

With the warm and humid weather it was time for a light crisp wine. After a quick vote from who knew wine, sauvignon blanc beat pinot grigio. Picking the label was left completely to me though. I'm a fan of Chilean cabernets, so I decided to explore the opposite end of the grape spectrum. Santa Carolina's Reserva is up.

As I soon found the green hue in the wine might've been real. The nose displayed a mineral note with the expected citrus fruit such as grapefruit. After a sip lime took the scene for the rest of the experience. The dry crisp parallels lime-juice, but it's not overly puckering somehow. In an long aftertaste the grapefruit tone comes back a little.

This sauvignon blanc is exactly what's needed on a muggy day. Based on its taste I think it would go excellent with a caesar salad too. I don't have a preference for sauvignon blanc but this one is getting a B (good) for its balance in strong but easily bearable citrus dry.

No comments: