Thursday, October 14, 2010

McSorley's Irish Pale Ale

An Irish pale ale? When I think of a pale ale's origin I think British, and Irish are obviously known for stouts. McSorley's is actually an old pub in New York City that was established in 1854, so it's not as Irish in origin as some others beers. This isn't a history lesson though, I'll tell you how it tastes.

Once poured the hue didn't look like a pale ale. It looks copper like a red ale, which is more traditional to the Irish! It has hops and malt in the aura characterized in a sweet way. On the palate hops takes a back seat to a 'creamy' malt, but this is not heavy in body. The body is actually crisp in a citrus way. Once swallowed the taste dwindles and you get it dry in a pale ale way.

I'd say this is a cross between a red and pale ale. There is a variety of things going on but I don't think they're working together well. I have to give it a C (decent), but on a positive note it's fairly easy to drink despite being dry at the end.

No comments: