Sunday, September 5, 2010

Gekkeikan Sake


The first sake on my blog will be Gekkeikan, a sake not made in Japan as one would think but right here in the USA. This will also be my first time drinking sake as I write this so I'd like to note that I don't have any other sake to compare it to. I try to grade all drinks as how much I enjoy them though, not how they taste to others of the same type. I review all types of drinks here.

I have three glasses in front of me; chilled, warm and room temperature because that's the three ways sake is served. Putting my nose over each revealed a lot about the different ways of serving. The warmer the sake the greater the tingle on my nose from alcohol, but also the more character. Mellow floral melon would be my description of it. The taste was almost parallel but also included a slight graininess that was more apparent when cool. I can see why sake is sold along with wine because it's body is almost exactly like chardonnay, rounded but not too heavy.

Gekkeikan's sake isn't anything exotic in my mind, just a delicately sweet wine-like drink with a heavy body for such a taste. I'm leaving it with a B (good) and think it would go very well with sushi, but not just because they're both Japanese. I'd also like to add that family and friends have warned me that sake's alcohol content can quickly catch up with you.

No comments: