Saturday, August 7, 2010

Yellow Tail Tree-Free Chardonnay


Tree-free? Is Yellow Tail going green and helping to save the world!?! Well, not that Yellow Tail is a bad company but tree-free means not aged in oak like almost all chardonnays it seems. This could be a good turn, the fuller body of chardonnay with fruitier notes but not as dry as some lighter grapes. Lets find out.

Upon pouring this chilled, my senses would've told me this was pinot grigio if I didn't know otherwise. Very crisp and dry smelling in a 'sneezing' way. The palate showed melon notes in addition to the crisp, but I didn't find it very enjoyable on its own. After pouring another glass once room temperature I found it a little better. The melon could be detected in the scent and was stronger on the tongue. It has a very dry aftertaste chilled and at room temperature.

I'm leaving this with a C (decent) because I think aging in oak might be the way for chardonnay. Although fruitier it was rather simple wine and the citrus with melon didn't work well together.

No comments: