Monday, June 28, 2010

Shipyard Old Thumper ESP

It may surprise some of you that this is a review of a Shipyard beer without their name on the label. Ringwood is a brewery out of the UK where Shipyard's master brewer learned, so they have rights to make it here in the US for us to enjoy. I'm certainly glad for this because I'm drinking one now and it's a fine.

From the glass this looks exactly like their Export Ale, but as soon as a sense beyond sight can notice this it's quite different. It smells similar to an IPA with a hint of sweet but not like thossuper hoppy ones. The oral experience gets bitter but includes the crisp of hops again. It has a smooth body however and a dry end.

This beer isn't for those accustomed to summer ales and lagers despite the light color and lack of IPA on the label. I like it quite a bit however and am leaving it with a B (good). As a mater of fact it's a house beer for me because I commonly get a twelve pack of it.

No comments: