Saturday, February 4, 2012

Martinshof Zweigelt 2009

Weingut Martinshof is an Austrian winery that's hard for me to pronounce. Today my review is for their 2009 zweigelt grape that's been sitting on my wine rack for awhile but have yet to try. I found a local specialty shop has this particular bottle on sale, so I decided I'd taste it for the first time before going back to get more bottles. Read on to see if it would be a good deal:

The lighter and less opaque color of this wine corresponded with how it acted on my tongue. Cherry and raspberry are the main focus with this drink on the palate, and the nose embraces the fruity theme as well. There aren't any layers of flavors or overtones though, and you're left with a strong acidic ending. It's also quite fizzy for a red wine.

It is quite easy to drink and there aren't any unlikable notes, but I'm leaving it with a C (decent) because I wouldn't chose this bottle to enjoy as the focus of my taste bud treat. It does supplement a pot luck dinner or social event with many different taste buds because of how easy it is to drink. I'll be going back to pick up a few for this.

No comments: