Friday, December 9, 2011

Sugar Pie Red Wine '10

Sugar Pie Red Wine. The first thing I thought of when I saw this label at Trader Joe's was sangria. Wine, sugar and fruit juice (fruit being the main ingredient of many pies.) Now I'm not usually a fan of sweet drinks, but whoever is responsible of the marketing of this wine did a fine job. A pretty pattern on the lable, and the sign advertising that it was only $5.99 sold it to me.

After a few sips I found it doesn't taste like a pre-made sangria, as the name suggested me. It is on the sweeter side of the wine taste spectrum though. This is because of a focus on blackberry jam, but in a rich way. There were things I found that made me think of pie more though. Nutmeg and cinnamon could be tasted with the blackberrys easily. The nutmeg was almost like a cabernet's tannin but a bit more sweet and spiced of course.

It was a good deal at $5.99, but I won't be keeping this in stock on my wine rack at home. It's just not one my taste buds would want that frequently. That's just my preferences though. I'm giving it a C (decent), and will end my analysis with this: It is a great deal and I'm sure many will love the spiced notes.

No comments: