Monday, May 9, 2011

Caribou Coffee Sumatra

Sumatra is one of my favorite beans (Ethiopian is my top choice), but it's far easier to find and more common. So today's choice is Caribou Coffee's Sumatra. The Sumatra bean is known for being hearty is a not-so-dark way, and 'earthy'. This is not what people would think of a coffee cup who aren't so familiar with Sumatra. Let's see if Caribou lives up to these standards.

As soon as I put my nose up to my mug, I could tell earthy would be a fine adjective for this. To refine this aspect I think it has a hint of raw tobacco (nothing like a cigaret of course). The body and overall taste is round and dark in this way, but there's a surprising note that's greater in the aroma. A fruit. It's very hard to pinpoint because it only exists behind these more robust flavors, and I honestly can't tell what fruit it would be.

I will certainly enjoy the rest of this cup once I'm done with this episode of Luxurious Liquids, but I believe it deserves a C (good). There are other Sumatran beans I prefer over this one. I'd like you to know that Caribou Coffee isn't as expensive as local roasters or big name brands though.

No comments: