Sunday, December 19, 2010

La Finca Cabernet Sauvignon '10


I feel that there's been a gap in what drinks I've covered recently for the current cold weather. There's a winter lager, chai tea, Irish cream, and even a hot chocolate! So what's missing? A red wine. Tonight I have a product from Trader Joe's, who's quite well known around here for their 'two-buck chuck'. La Finca is a label of Trader Joe's that's only a bit more than two dollars.

The first whiff told me that I got what I'd paid for, because alcohol is the prime scent. I still live by the saying "enjoy the drink, not the effect" though. So beyond the obvious asset, the grape part of the palate is quite 'viney', the body is light, and the aftertaste has an acidic twang. Sifting through all of this did convey hints of dark cherries.

Cheap is the prime adjective to use here, but let's be careful as to which definition is being applied. It was not a good deal. La Finca's canbernet is your stereotypical cheap red wine so I'm leaving it with a F (Avoid). Fear not those of you that have recently come home with a box of the 'two-buck chuck' though. I've already had that and know that it's cheaper in cost but not in taste.

No comments: